Thursday, February 4, 2010

Bloggers Challenge-It's a Color Challenge-Red, White and Black

It's funny, I am not sure if I would pick these colors if I were not Bloggers' challenged to, but I like the results!
I wanted to use this Digital Image by Firecracker Designs by Pamela- I think it is so pretty.... And, I was inspired by a card I saw on a Blog-by Theresa Momber- you can see it Here. Theresa took her Copics and colored a strip so she would have colors that matched her card exactly.  So, I decided to give it a go for my background which was going to be red- cause black and white would not work here, would they???
This was an interesting concept and something new.  I colored in the small hearts with R24 and outlined the edges in R27 and then R29 then blended them.  I colored the BG with just the R24 and R27in stripes-see photo below.  The color is so much better IRL....... 
  After I colored the BG, I painted Shimmerz on the smaller hearts-love that stuff!  CAUTION- Shimmerz runs or bleeds on some digi's- do a quick test run on a second digi before you try this- AND, once you paint on shimmerz, you cannot color over it.  Next, I took a Sakura gel pen and outlined all of the flourishes and the outside of the heart.  I used a sentiment from the digital freebie Conversation Hearts by FCD- scroll down..... I cut out a the sentiment and cut it into a heart, then colored it in and popped it up on dimensionals.  I colored using a feathering type stroke- first in red, then Grey, then red- I wanted a darker edge and a lighter center.  Once I liked the look of the center heart, I added the Sakure gel pen to the outside of the sentiment heart. 
Colors used: R24, R27, R29, C2, C3, C5  I colored the bird in the grays and decided to try to outline the inside edges to give it dimension-instead of the outside outlining I usually do.
  The background is Black, then real red.  The  red is done in a Technique Junkies Technique called Faux Painted Paneling.
  What do you think???
Here is the background shading:
I ripped a piece of card stock and just colored down a row at a time- hold your marker at an angle and use a thicker stroke on the edge with your new color to get a smooth line against the prior row, then finish the line in your circle strokes.  I think if you tried this in different colors, you would want to consider tearing a few pieces of CS together, and using a fresh piece for different colors so you would not get bleeding.

I wanted to participate in the Clear Dollar Stamps color challenge as well- Red/Black and White.

See more bloggers challenge entries by clicking on the logo on my sidebar- the Challenge starts Friday AM- I am posting early because I am working tomorrow....
I hope you have a great weekend!  Thanks for stopping by!
Shelly

36 comments:

Connie Fossenier said...

wow this is so vibrant and love the tutorial pictures on how you did this with different copics...
Your card is very rich looking.
connie paxman

Joanne Gilch said...

Love the redness of it all. the wee bit of black and white in the framing just bring it off. love it.
joanne sbs29

Unknown said...

Really a very striking card...and such intricate technique...You worked hard on this card and it surely shows. Beautiful!!

Rhonda said...

This is a wonderful card...the results are spectacular. Thanks for sharing this.
Rhonda

Carrie said...

Wonderfully done!! Love the technique.

Marsha Fisher said...

Wow, this is so rich looking! Thanks for sharing your technique too ;-).

Lisa Somerville said...

Very pretty - love the bits of sparkle you added with the Sakura Glitter Pen!

Lisa Bohler said...

So striking! Love the results of that tech! Beautiful!

Connie Babbert said...

Very pretty! Such great color saturation!

Selene Kempton said...

This is so beautiful! Great job with the coloring and the copics. This is so rich!

Anne said...

Wow this is hot! Beautiful card and worth all the work you put in

Kevin Renz said...

Hi Shelly,

I like how your card turned out too. Thanks for sharing your Copic technique too - that's awesome. Thanks for playing along with us at Clearly iStamp too.

Ida said...

Wow this is gorgeous. The way you did your background looks fantastic.

Margaret Raburn said...

Beautiful! A very pretty image and great technique for the background. Thanks for sharing the instructions!

Unknown said...

What a cool technique!!! And great card!!

jimlynn said...

Stunning card! So very pretty.

Tricia T said...

What a lovely card! Thanks for playing the Clearly Inspired Challenge!!

Sheryl Dickinson said...

Very pretty! Your background is awesome--thanks for showing us how you did it!

Payne Holler Cards said...

great tutorial!!! this turned out beautiful...love using the copics like that

Karen Howard said...

WOW, this is really stunning!!! Great coloring too.

Gerrie Johnnic said...

Great card, your tut was good....

Cheryl said...

Beautiful! I love this background.

I wish I had copics.

Unknown said...

Cool card, love the technique you used on it! Great vintage look!

Alissa said...

Wow! You really went all out on this one, huh? This is unreal!

Kimberly Gajewski said...

What a lovely card Shelly! That background is just beautiful! Well done! :D

Patti Chesky said...

Very cool technique!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Annie said...

this is really-really PRETTY!

Kayla Marie ~ said...

This is Great! Wow. I love it. I definately need to colour like this.

Lori said...

What a cool background technique! I'll have to give that a try.

Tracey said...

Fantastic Shelly, love the background.

Hope you're having a great weekend :o)

Hugs
Tracey
xx

Theresa Momber said...

This is beautiful! I love your wavy background!

Nikki Bond said...

So elegant...very pretty! {SMILES}

Michelle B. AKA JustPaintingAround said...

Great technique! Thanks for the tip!

CarlaKH said...

gorgeous!!

Anonymous said...

Truly a beautiful card!

Melisa Waldorf said...

Beautiful and I love your copic background!!